Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Isn't it about time we were given a choice of postal service?

Royal mail are on strike, that's a laugh! The postal service has actually been more efficient since the strike. I have not had any mail delivered by royal mail before 1 p.m. for about 6 months. So much mail goes missing and I no longer buy there so called insurance because I have so much insured and recorded things lost and never had one successful reimbursement.



Why don't we get the opportunity for a better delivery service provider for the good honest postmen to work for?Isn't it about time we were given a choice of postal service?
no...it's



V-A-D-E-R TIME!
Are you trying to insinuate that I am proposing some sort of dictatorship on the scale of the Dark Side's Evil Empire simply because I think the postal service we are a slave to is crap.



I'm off to measure all my envelopes and parcels before Christmas so I don't get some sort of fine.

Report Abuse

Isn't it about time we were given a choice of postal service?
Yes it is
Hi,I can see the postal service being took over.Have no idea if it will improve.Isn't it about time we were given a choice of postal service?
Watch this space. Royal Mail's monopoly on letter delivery will end before the year is out. The CWU will have done for postmen what the NUM did for our country's mining industry. In Christmas 2008, your cards will be delivered by a Lithuanian working for TNT (assuming you haven't emailed them).
Gotta luv em! though one of oldest business in global history.
...there is a "choice".... the Postal Service or UPS or Fed Ex or DHL or "carrier pigeon" or e-mail.
i have to agree. royal mail, services are very poor. i have had so much lost post its unreal. not to mention, the post i dont know about!!
I had a friend who was a postie and the tales he told me would make you hairs curl! Some of the (not all) hardly did any work and spent their days larking about with our precious post. Many played the system to collect overtime. Only my postman seems to be working hard.
like the railway?GPO etc?
if you want a choice of postal service then go right on ahead set one up.



the main problem Royal Mail has is that it is still owned by the Government (not in itself a problem, but it is a problem if the politicians meddle in the day to day operations of the post office (such as deciding what rates the post office can charge, putting pressure on the managment of the company to meet union requirements.)



If you want a better post service then you need to be prepraed to spend more on your post, the UK post service is one of the cheapest in Europe.. almost certainly to cheap. Its a labour intensive service.. meaning that there are relatively few productivity enhancements that can be introduced. One of the best productivity savings good be the abolition of the doorstep delivery... ie the post office delivers to a box where you go and collect your post. But ,most people including me don't like that one.



There are undoubntably saving to be made in improving productivity.. but the reality is that there are precious few people willing to do the job. which would indictae ot me that the wages are to low compartively. The post office has got itself into a mess with using temporary staff (generally more expensive and couldn't give a stuff. some of thsoe temproary staff are not native english speakers... and have problems as a consequence. soem of the probels, are down to antiquated wrong practises, some are down to poor management.



From my personal experience Royal Mail do a pretty good job. I live out it the sticks, the post get delivered to me. I don't care if it arrives before or after 13:00..... as Im usually out at work.



Occasionally the post takes a day or two later to delivery than elsewhere, but I dont care.. it gets delivered. In the last 20 years Im only aware of 2 occasions when the post hasn't been delivered..... one of those was a parcel which requires a signature, the supplier states the parcel was returned to them I never got the card to say the item was available for collection at the post office, the other recently is a letter which seems to have gone astray. but As I dont trust the person who claims to have sent the letter I have my suspisicions that it was never posted.



To my knowledge I've never had a letter sent by me go astray, with 2 exceptions (one went astray because I hadn't put enough postage on the letter.. it was returned 2 months after posting, the other was a letter which the post office struggled to deliver.. because of my poor handwriting.. it was delivered some 4 weeks later.



There have been a few mis-deliveries (items delivered to me that shouldn't have been, and items delivered to my neighbours.. in both cases the wrongly delivered letter was put in the correct box later.

No comments:

Post a Comment